Advertising

Monday, July 25, 2011

A Fresh New Week

Greetings Gnafia!

I hope everyone had a relaxing weekend! I know I certainly tried.

I'd like to bring up a new social game that I've found to be thoroughly entertaining. It's called CivWorld and it's made by Sid Meirs and Firaxis Media and is currently available for play on Facebook. It's completely free and kind of addicting, but in a good way.

For those of you who are familiar with the Civilization Franchise, CivWorld is a fresh new take on a friendly impression from our past. There are minipuzzles to keep you entertained, you collaborate with dozens of other players from around the world, and work together to advance your civilization and your city to greatness.

The part I LOVE the most about CivWorld is it's non-reliance on constant interaction. You could walk away from it for ten, twelve, twenty four, forty-eight hours, and you won't be completely blown out of the water by those people who have absolutely no life (like me) and all they do is hang out on CivWorld.

There ARE benefits to playing, but those benefits are rather miniscule for the most part. You can collect extra resources by running your cursor over bonus bubbles above your citizen's head, but these range from +1 to +4... hardly going to make much of a dent when you need 100,000 research to discover gunpowder. Then there are hourly contests and an occasional auction. The contests can be won passively, so don't worry if you're not there to participate in all of them!

The only downside I've found is if your machine is a little dated or bogged down, CivWorld can be painfully slow to load and sometimes painfully slow to respond. However, on newer machines it works like a dream and is very zippy.

CivWorld has even peaked the interest of my wife, and she's playing now. So go ahead, check it out on Facebook and let me know what you think in the comments section.

Until next time, Gnafia!

No comments:

Post a Comment